Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,…
1. This memorial affords an instance of the Saviour's foreknowledge, and of His fidelity and power in the accomplishment of His predictions.
2. It reminds us that as we possess this gospel ourselves it is our duty to impart the knowledge of it to others. The text implies that the gospel is for the world.
3. It sanctions and encourages the efforts of Christian females, as well as of others, to serve the cause of Jesus Christ.
4. It teaches us that a desire to supply the temporal necessities of the poor is not to supersede a devout regard to the claims of Christ, and to the welfare of souls.
5. It directs us to serve Christ according to our ability, and intimates that no sacrifices are too costly to be made for Him.
6. It reminds us that Jesus Christ sometimes bestows upon us such peculiar mercies, as demand peculiar and extraordinary expressions of gratitude.
7. It shows that those things are the most agreeable to Christ which are done with a devout regard to His death.
8. It admonishes us that such opportunities as are peculiarly favourable for testifying our regard for Christ, and to the salvation of our souls, if they are neglected never may return.
Parallel VersesKJV: Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,