This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that you affirm constantly…
I. DEFINE GOOD WORKS.
1. That our works may be good, they must be —
(1) Performed by good persons;
(2) Required by God's Word;
(3) Done from a sound principle;
(4) Done to a right end.
2. How these good works must be maintained —
(1) Attention to God's Word;
(2) Solicitude to know God's mind;
(3) Watchfulness against temptations;
(4) Embracing every opportunity of doing good;
(5) Pressing forward in knowledge;
(6) Exciting others to do the same.
II. THE FAITH WHICH PRODUCES GOOD WORKS.
1. Knowledge of God.
2. And of the Word of God.
3. Faith is a composing grace.
4. A receptive grace.
5. An operative grace.
6. A rooting grace.
7. A humbling grace.
8. An elevating grace.
9. A strengthening grace.
10. A uniting grace.
11. A working grace.
12. A saving grace.
III. HOW GOOD WORKS ARE PROFITABLE TO MEN.
1. As evidences of true faith.
2. Testimonies of gratitude to God.
3. Strengthening to assurance.
4. Edifying to others.
5. Condemning the world.
(T. B. Baker, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
WEB: This saying is faithful, and concerning these things I desire that you affirm confidently, so that those who have believed God may be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men;