Being confident of this very thing, that he which has begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:…
I. THE GOOD WORK.
1. Its nature. A new creation (Ephesians 2:10), without which we have neither will nor power to perform good works (Philippians 2:13).
2. Its property. It is a good work because —
(1) It is begun by a good God (Psalm 25:8).
(2) It is wrought out for a good purpose (Colossians 1:12).
(3) It is performed with a good end in view (Romans 8:30; Hebrews 12:14).
II. THE GROUNDS OF PAUL'S CONFIDENCE THAT THIS GOOD WORK WOULD BE COMPLETED.
1. The perfections of God's works (Deuteronomy 32:4) in creation, providence, and grace.
2. The atonement of Christ (John 10:15).
3. The Christian's union to Christ (John 14:19).
4. The earnest of the Spirit (2 Corinthians 1:22).
5. The nature of the life Christ gives (John 10:28).
6. The intercession of Christ (Hebrews 7:29; John 11:42; John 17:24).
Parallel VersesKJV: Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
WEB: being confident of this very thing, that he who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.