And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:…
1. Riches are deceitful in the insidious growth which they promote of the desire for wealth, quite independent of what it is worth in its positive power.
2. In the transition from a normal desire for wealth to the fervour of avarice, there is great danger of deception among men.
3. Wealth is deceitful in taking the place of legitimate enjoyments in life.
4. The relative growth of the selfish over the generous.
5. In the gradual development of self-esteem and self-sufficiency.
6. In an entire perversion which takes place in the minds of men.
7. Wealth deceives men by promises.
(H. W. Beecher.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them: