And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.…
I. THE FRUIT OF GRACE IN THESE TWO DISCIPLES.
1. They followed Jesus. When a man has become a doer of the Word, he ever seeks increased knowledge.
2. They acknowledged His high character as a Master on whose instruction they desired to wait. It is a blessed progress when the issue of outward preaching is to make men desire that inward teaching which is by the waving power of Christ.
3. They sought intimate acquaintance with Him. No short interview was sufficient.
II. CHRIST'S TREATMENT OF THE TWO DISCIPLES.
1. He took notice that they followed Him. Why did He not speak? Because He would honour His own word, as spoken by the Baptist, and give time for its proper effect. Christ knows those who are following Him, however hidden, silent, and feeble.
2. He set them on examining their purpose in following Him.
3. He gave them most welcome invitation and grateful entertainment.
(A. Beith, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.
WEB: The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.