And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honor, and power…
I. THE WIDE EXTENT OF JEHOVAH'S GOVERNMENT.
1. With respect to holy and happy angels in heaven.
2. Over the powers of darkness — . restraining their malignity, bounding their furious rage, and turning all their stratagems into artillery against themselves.
3. Over the children of men on earth.
II. THE ESSENTIAL PROPERTIES OF HIS PROVIDENTIAL ADMINISTRATION TOWARDS MANKIND IN GENERAL, AND TO HIS OWN RENEWED ADOPTED CHILDREN IN PARTICULAR. The word "providence" suggests two ideas intimately connected together, namely, preservation and government.
1. In His dispensations our God acts as an independent sovereign, carrying into certain accomplishment the purposes He has formed, and fulfilling them in His own way and at His own time.
2. Another property of the Divine administration is its perfect rectitude and purity: "The Lord is righteous in all His ways, and holy in all His works."
3. The dispensations of Providence in this world are all subservient to the enlargement of the glorious Redeemer's kingdom in the world.Lessons:
1. Doth the Lord God Omnipotent reign? and are you the subjects of His providential kingdom? Then be it your care to think, and speak, and act, as becomes His creatures; as the dependent pensioners on His bounty, and as the dutiful subjects of His administration.
2. While praising the Lord God omnipotent for all the comforts of life you hitherto have enjoyed, entrust also to Him all your future interests; for He justly claims the right of imparting mercies in His own time and manner.
3. Is there a kingdom of grace on earth, as well as a kingdom of providence? Then be it your highest concern to know if you are the real subjects of this spiritual kingdom.
Parallel VersesKJV: And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God: