To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
I. THE BATTLE. Common life in this world is a warfare.
1. It is inner warfare, private, solitary, with no eye upon the warrior.
2. It is outer warfare. The enemies are legion.
3. It is daily warfare; not one great battle, but a multitude of battles. The enemy wearies not, ceases not, nor must we.
4. It is warfare not fought with human arms.
5. It is warfare in which we are sharers with Christ.
II. THE VICTORY. Here it is spoken of as one great final victory, but in reality it is a multitude. As are the battles so are the victories.
III. THE REWARD.
1. A throne. Not salvation merely, or life, but higher than these — glory, honour, dominion, and power. From being the lowest here they are made the highest hereafter.
2. Christ's throne. He has a seat on the Father's throne as the reward of His victory, we have a seat on His as the reward of ours. We are sharers or "partakers with Christ" in all things. We share His battles, His victories, His rewards, His cross, and His crown.
(H. Bonar, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.