He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet on a rock, and established my goings.
I. WHAT THE GRACE OF GOD DELIVERS FROM.
1. A position of degradation — "A pit."
2. A position of misery — "A horrible pit."
3. A position of danger — "The miry clay."
(3) Death (Jeremiah 38:9).
II. WHAT THE GRACE OF GOD BRINGS MEN TO.
1. A condition of spiritual elevation — "up."
2. A condition of spiritual stability — "And set my feet upon a rock."
3. A condition of spiritual advancement — "And established my goings."
4. A condition of religious happiness — "And He hath put a new song," etc.
III. IN EFFECTING THIS CHANGE THE DIVINE BEING AND THE SINNER HAVE THEIR DISTINCT PROVINCES TO OCCUPY.
1. The sinner prays — evidencing —
(1) Deep sense of need.
(2) Deep consciousness of helplessness.
(3) Trust in "the mercy and power of God.
2. The sinner waits —
(1) In earnest expectation.
(2) In the assurance of help being granted.
3. The Lord inclines His ear and hears the cry.
4. The Lord puts forth His saving power — "He brought me up."
1. To believers.
(1) Spiritual elevation no cause for boasting.
(2) Spiritual stability no cause for self-confidence.
(3) Spiritual advancement to be carefully maintained.
(4) Religious happiness to be continued and increased.
2. To unbelievers.
(1) Yours a position of degradation, misery and danger.
(2) This position gradually becoming worse.
(3) Escape is possible by penitential application to God (Hosea 13:9). What a future sinners must have if they remain in the pit! What a future sinners may have if they turn to Christi
Parallel VersesKJV: He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.