When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory.
I. WHEN MAY ZION, OR THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH, BE SAID TO BE BUILT UP?
1. When sinners are converted to God.
2. When Christian converts grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour.
3. When pure and undefiled religion spreads to the ends of the earth.
II. THE BUILDING OF ZION IS GOD'S OWN WORK.
1. He is the Author, Cause, and Fountain of all blessedness.
2. He has promised prosperity, success, and extension to the Christian Church.
III. IN THE BUILDING UP OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH, THERE IS AN EXTRAORDINARY DISPLAY OF THE GLORY OF GOD. Conclusion: —
1. Christians may see how much reason they have to be confident and joyful under the most discouraging circumstance which occur, both with respect to themselves and the Church.
2. The duty of Christians to observe, with habitual attention, the course of Providence, and diligently to compare it with the designs announced in prophecy.
3. Reproof to those who are saying that the time is not yet come for the friends of Zion to exert themselves with diligence and zeal for her building up, extension, and glory.
4. The extreme folly, impiety, and danger of those who ridicule our hopes, and attempt to oppose the progress of the gospel
5. This subject is eminently fitted to illuminate our path, and direct our steps, in the present situation of the world.
6. Our subject affords great encouragement to missionary plans and exerstions.
(W. B. Browne.)
Parallel VersesKJV: When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory.