And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.…
I. THE CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER WHICH THE RAINBOW WAS GIVEN AS A SIGN TO MEN.
1. The Most High had proved His hatred of sin by the consuming wrath with which it had been punished.
2. The Lord had also recently accepted the sacrifice of Noah.
3. The rainbow appeared in heaven at the very time when the patriarch's fears must have been renewed.
II. THE CHARACTER OF THE COVENANT OF WHICH THE RAINBOW WAS THE APPOINTED PLEDGE.
1. The unmerited freeness of Divine mercy.
2. The faithfulness of God.
3. The infinite compassion of the Lord.
4. The universality of Divine mercy.
5. The perpetuity of redeeming mercy.
(R. P. Buddicom, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.