And the men turned their faces from there, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.…
I. THE BEING WE WORSHIP.
1. Infinitely great.
2. Incomprehensibly glorious.
3. Transcendently holy.
4. Unboundedly benevolent.
II. THE TRUE CHARACTER OF THE BEST WORSHIPPERS. "Dust and ashes." The terms seem to indicate —
1. Our origin and mortality. Formed of the dust; residents of the dust; travellers to the dust.
2. Our depravity. Dust and ashes. Ashes are only the refuse of what was once more valuable. Now man is fallen, debased, and worthless.
III. IN WORSHIP GOD ALLOWS US TO SPEAK UNTO HIM. Now, we do this —
1. In adoration and praise.
2. In confession of sin.
3. In supplication and prayer.
(1) With reverential fear. "In Thy fear will I worship."
(2) With deep self-abasement.
(3) With resignation to His divine will.
(J. Burns, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.