Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.
I. SOME CONSIDERATIONS TO ILLUSTRATE AND CONFIRM THE NECESSITY OF SUCH PRAYER.
1. The awful responsibility of the ministerial office.
2. We are men of like passions with yourselves, with bodies requiring to be kept under, and with souls to save.
II. SOME SUITABLE HEADS OF PRAYER.
1. First of all, pray that "utterance may be given unto us, that we may open our mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel." The full and free declaration of " the gospel of the grace of God" is the crowning part of the Christian minister's office.
2. Again, "pray" for your minister, that in dispensing among you the Word of God, he may be enabled rightly to divide it. Much spiritual wisdom is required here.
3. But, again, "pray for us," that the truths which we preach to you may be so deeply impressed upon our own souls by the Spirit of God that they may always exert a commanding influence over our life, conversation, and whole deportment, and thus become the springs of a holy and consistent walk.
4. Again, "pray for us," that we may be made conquerors over our peculiar temptations as ministers — that we may never speak to you "smooth things" merely for the sake of pleasing you.
5. Yet, again, "pray for us," that we are bold and faithful witnesses for Christ, God would keep us lowly and humble in ourselves, and enable us to ascribe all that we are, and have, and may become, to His free favour.
III. The truth is simply this: a minister cannot be blessed without his flock being made to experience a correspondent share of blessing. YOUR PRAYERS FOR ME WILL BE CROWNED WITH INTEREST TO YOURSELVES. You will find your own souls growing in grace " and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." You will find yourselves daily becoming more ripe for " the inheritance of the saints in light." Thus it is that God graciously orders that our labours of love for one another should be reflected upon ourselves.
(H. Cadell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.