He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces…
I. CONSIDER THE VICTORY BY WHICH DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP. The words refer to that encounter which the Redeemer had with the king of terrors, when He suffered in the room of sinners. Here, among other things, the following, in an especial manner, deserve our attention.
1. His exhausting the power of death by submitting to its stroke. When He died, it was under the pressure of Divine wrath; but that sacrifice was sufficient, and no more can be demanded. The stroke by which the Redeemer fell left no remaining strength in His enemy.
2. His manifesting, by His resurrection, that He was completely delivered from its dominion.
3. His enabling His people to overcome the fear of death.
4. His preserving His people safe in death, so that they are not hurt by its sting when their bodies must submit to its power.
5. His delivering His people completely from every remains of its power, by the resurrection of their bodies at the last day.
II. THE HAPPY CONSEQUENCE of this victory in the swallowing up of death. The phrase "swallowing up" is expressive of the most complete destruction.
1. Death is swallowed up in the victory of Christ, so as that it can never appear as an enemy to hurt Himself. The guilt with which He was charged as the surety of sinners gave death all its power over the Redeemer. By expiating that guilt, however, the power of death is taken away.
2. Death is swallowed up in the victory of Christ, inasmuch as it is by this victory deprived of all power to hurt any of His people. There is now no death of which the people of God have cause to be afraid.
(1) Death cannot separate believers from God.
(2) Death cannot deprive believers of the society of their brethren in Christ.
(3) Death cannot rob the children of God of their spiritual privileges.
(4) Death cannot prevent believers from the full enjoyment of that happiness and glory which Christ hath put. chased and prepared for them in the heavenly state.
Parallel VersesKJV: He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.