2 Chronicles 16:9
For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth…
Whatsoever was written was written for the Church's comfort (Romans 15:4); whatsoever is acted in order to anything written is acted for the Church's good. All the providences of God in the world are conformable to His declarations in His Word.
I. ALL GOOD THINGS ARE FOR THE GOOD OF THE CHURCH.
1. The world.
(1) The continuance of the world is for their sakes (Acts 17:30).
(2) The course of natural things is for the good of the Church or particular members of it (Hosea 2:18; Joshua 10:12, 13).
(3) The interest of nations is ordered as is most for the Church's good (2 Kings 9:6, 7).
2. The gifts and common graces of men in the world.
(1) The highest orders among them are not exempted from being officers for the Church (Matthew 18:10; Hebrews 1:14; Psalm 91:11; Luke 16:22).
(2) Armies of them are employed upon this occasion (Genesis 33:1, 2).
(3) Christ hath the government of them to this end for His Church (Hebrews 2:7, 8; Ephesians 1:21, 22).
(4) The great actions which have been done in the world, or shall be done for the Church, are performed by them (Deuteronomy 7:16; Deuteronomy 8:16; Revelation 10:8, 9; Revelation 22:8, 9).
(5) They engage in this work with delight.
II. ALL BAD THINGS ARE FOR THEIR GOOD.
1. Bad persons.
(1) The devil. The malice of the devil against Job hath rendered him a standing miracle of patience for ever. God overreaches the devil, and makes him instrumental for good where he designs hurt and mischief.
(2) Wicked men. They exist in the midst of the Church either for the exercise of their grace or security of their person or interest (Proverbs 16:7).
2. Bad things.
(a) A man's own sin. Onesimus runs from his master, and finds a spiritual father. God makes the remainder of sin in a good man an occasion to exercise His grace, discover his strength, and show his loyalty to God.
(b) Other men's sins. The revengeful threatening of Esau was the occasion of Jacob's flight, which saved him from possible idolatry (Genesis 27:43, 46).
(2) Commotions in the world (Psalm 29:10, 11; Isaiah 44:28).
(3) Destroying judgments (Romans 11:11, 12).
(4) Divisions in the Church.
(S. Charnock, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars.
WEB: For the eyes of Yahweh run back and forth throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein you have done foolishly; for from henceforth you shall have wars."