2 Chronicles 16:9
For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth…
I. GOD HATH AN INDISPUTABLE AND PECULIAR RIGHT TO THE GOVERNMENT OF THE WORLD. This right is founded upon —
1. That of creation.
2. The excellency of His being. Every man hath a natural right to rule another in his own art and skill wherein he excels him.
II. GOD ONLY IS QUALIFIED FOR THE UNIVERSAL GOVERNMENT OF THE WORLD. God only is fit in regard of —
2. Holiness and righteousness. All disorder is the effect of unrighteousness.
III. THERE CAN BE NO REASON RENDERED WHY GOD SHOULD NOT ACTUALLY GOVERN THE WORLD, SINCE HE ONLY HATH A RIGHT AND A FITNESS.
IV. GOD DOTH ACTUALLY PRESERVE AND GOVERN THE WORLD.
1. Nothing is acted in the world without God's knowledge. The vision of the wheels in Ezekiel presents us with an excellent portraiture of providence (Ezekiel 1:18).
2. Nothing is acted in the world without the will of God (Ephesians 1:11; Psalm 135:6).
3. Nothing doth subsist without God's care and power.
(S. Charnock, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars.
WEB: For the eyes of Yahweh run back and forth throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein you have done foolishly; for from henceforth you shall have wars."