Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister…
I. THE INTEREST WHICH GOD TAKES IN MEN'S LIVES.
1. Every event is closely observed by Him.
2. He often comes unsolicited and unthought of. Like the mother who, while attending to the duties of her household, still keeps her eye on the little one at play, that she may interpose in time of danger.
II. GOD APPEALS TO HIS PAST CONDUCT TO ENCOURAGE HIS SERVANT TO TRUST IN HIM.
1. We are influenced more by the past conduct of a friend than by his promises.
2. There are degrees of manifested interest, care, and love. God was with Moses —
(1) Continuously, from beginning to end.
(2) Notwithstanding a variation of conduct on the part of His servant.
(3) Under circumstances of great provocation.
(4) As a Friend of infinite resources.
(5) As an unerring Guide.
(6) To uphold his position against any usurpation on the part of others.
III. THE BESTOWAL OF THE BLESSINGS INCLUDED IN THIS DECLARATION WAS MADE DEPENDENT UPON JOSHUA'S OBEDIENCE. He who will not keep God's law cannot have the presence of God with him.
(A London Clergyman.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,