For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men…
I. A GREAT CRIME. Why should men want to change the truth of the living God? Look into the text and you have the answer.
(1) Because the fear of God is not in their soul — "ungodly men." When the helm is broken the vessel will drift in every direction. Reverence for God is the first essential of faith in revelation.
(2) Because to human appearance sin appears less hideous when committed in the name of religion — "turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness."(3) Because the authority of "our only Master and Lord" is against the license they would afford the flesh. Take Christ out of the gospel and any use might be made of it; but give Him His place in the sphere of Divine truth, and the force against sin is irresistible.
II. AN AWFUL DOOM.
(1) It is a defiance of Divine authority: God is contradicted. When this is done moral government is at stake.
(2) It is the greatest wrong that can be done to others. If you do not know the way, say so, but to know the way, and direct the man to go in the contrary direction, is to cause him harm.
(3) It is an offence against the love of God, who sent His only Son to make us good, and lead us to virtue.
(T. Davies, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
WEB: For there are certain men who crept in secretly, even those who were long ago written about for this condemnation: ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into indecency, and denying our only Master, God, and Lord, Jesus Christ.