And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.…
I. THE MAJESTIC GOVERNMENT OF THE GREAT GOD HAS HEAVEN FOR THE CHIEF SCENE OF ITS ADMINISTRATION.
1. When a good man is privileged to look into heaven, the first thing that attracts his attention is the majestic government of God.
2. Earth does not contain the supreme power of law, but is under the government of heaven.
3. The government of God is in sublime contrast to that which obtains amongst men.
(1) Firm in stability.
(2) Great in majesty.
(3) Constant in exercise.
(4) Calm in triumph.
II. THE MAJESTIC GOVERNMENT OF THE GREAT GOD IS CONDUCTED ON THE PRINCIPLES OF PURITY, EQUITY, AND MERCY.
1. It is pure in its administration. The aim of His rule is to subdue moral evil, and to permeate life with laws, the observance of which will sanctify it. This cannot be predicated of all human governments, which are often gained by the sword, and upheld by terror.
2. It is righteous in its administration. Under it the poor and the oppressed may take welcome refuge.
3. It is merciful in its administration.
III. THE MAJESTIC GOVERNMENT OF THE GREAT GOD IS APPROVED BY ALL REDEEMED AND GLORIFIED INTELLIGENCES.
1. In exalted station.
2. In peaceful posture.
3. Of unsullied purity.
IV. THE MAJESTIC GOVERNMENT OF THE GREAT GOD IS SOMETIMES ASSOCIATED WITH TERRIFIC AGENCIES. The judgments of God are as —
1. The crash of thunder.
2. The blaze of forked lightning.
3. Not only thunderings and lightnings, but voices proceeded out of the throne; the meanings of Divine judgments are partially unfolded; all judgment is vocal to the soul of man.Lessons:
1. That God rules all things by the word of His power.
2. That the Church is safe under the Divine rule.
3. That men must not provoke the terrible agencies of the government of God.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.