Speak to the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which you shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.…
The vulture is a type of those people who revel in the wreck of their neighbour's reputation.
1. These are people you never like to meet. They have nothing good to say of anybody.
2. In their stories they uniformly exaggerate.
3. Their caution is remarkable.
4. The gossip makes a pretence of wishing a thing to be kept a secret. But it is only that he may himself enjoy the monopoly of the scandal, and be the first to tell it to everybody.
5. This depraved habit of evil-speaking may spring from various causes.
6. Of all bad people, none are so thoroughly as the tale-bearer.Conclusion:
1. The way to keep the city clean is for every one to sweep before his own door.
2. Expulsive of the feeling which swells in the bosom of the evil-speaker is that charity which thinketh no evil.
(A. F. Forrest.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.
WEB: "Speak to the children of Israel, saying, 'These are the living things which you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth.