And I say to you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob…
I. BY THE CHILDREN OF THE KINGDOM ARE INTENDED THE JEWS, who were God's peculiar people.
1. God was in an especial manner their King. He revealed Himself as their King and Saviour. He fought against their enemies.
2. As a king He laid down laws which they were to follow.
3. They were not only subjects of the kingdom; they were to be children of it.
4. The justice of that sentence, which, after their ejection, deprived the children of the kingdom of their glorious inheritance.
II. How WERE THEY CAST INTO OUTER DARKNESS.
1. They were withdrawn immediately from that which is light even on earth — the enjoyment of God's grace, and the enlightenment of His Holy Spirit. This was outer darkness of soul.
2. They were driven into the darkness of sorrow and affliction.
III. THE CAUSE why this happened — their unbelief. We are now the children of the kingdom; have God's laws written in our hearts.
Parallel VersesKJV: And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.