Therefore whoever hears these sayings of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, which built his house on a rock:
I. WHO AMONG THE HEARERS OF THE GOSPEL ARE INTENDED BY THIS REPRESENTATION.
1. It applies to all who build their hope of heaven upon the mere belief of the doctrines of Christianity.
2. The individual who builds upon his own goodness, and rejects, either in part or whole, the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. The foolish builder represents likewise the hearer of the gospel, on whose mind its Divine truths only partially operate.
4. The persons on whose minds the influence of the Word is transient,
II. THE FEARFUL AND TREMENDOUS OVERTHROW WHICH AWAITS SUCH HEARERS OF THE WORD.
1. As regards the time of its occurrence. It fell in the storm, when the builder had most need of it.
2. It was great as to the sacrifice of property. The plans and toils of the wicked are vain.
3. It was great because it was irreparable. Too late to build another.
(J. E. Good.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
WEB: "Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock.