For finding fault with them, he said, Behold, the days come, said the Lord…
: — The difference betwixt the old and new covenant is —
1. In the time. The old was before Christ, the new since (Hebrews 1:1, 2).
2. In the manner of delivering. The old was more obscurely delivered under types and prophecies, the new more clearly (2 Corinthians 3:13, 14).
3. In the extent. The old was restrained to a select people (Psalm 147:19, 20); the new is extended to all nations (Matthew 28:19).
4. In the mediator. Moses, a mere man, was made the mediator of the old (Galatians 3:19); but Jesus Christ, God-man, the Mediator of the new (ver. 6).
5. In the ratification. The old was ratified by the blood of beasts (Exodus 24:8); the new by the blood of the Son of God (Hebrews 9:12).
6. In the efficacy. The old comparatively was a ministration of death, thee new a ministration of the Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:7, 8).
7. In the kind of confederates. Under the old God's confederates were in their non-age, as children under tutors and governors (Galatians 4:5, 7).
8. In the kind of seals or sacraments. Under the old they were more in number, more various in rites, more difficult, more obscure, more earthly. By comparing the sacraments of the one and the other together, this will evidently appear.
9. In the manner of setting forth the promise of God. In the old it was set forth more meanly under temporal blessings (Deuteronomy 28:2); under the new, more directly under spiritual and celestial blessings (Matthew 5:3, &c.).
10. In the yoke that is laid o, the confederates by the one and the other. By the old heavy yoke was laid (Acts 15:10); by the new, an easy and light yoke (Matthew 11:30). So great a difference there is betwixt the new covenant and all other covenants, as it is styled a better covenant.
Parallel VersesKJV: For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: