And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his oldest son…
1. Now very aged. One hundred and thirty-six years old. Feeble. Ought to have been specially reverenced, both as a father and because so aged. Reverence due to old age. What more beautiful than old age (Proverbs 15:31)? See the Word of God concerning old age (Leviticus 19:32; 2 Chronicles 36:17; Proverbs 20:29).
2. Helpless. Forced to sit in the house while his sons were actively employed. Dependent on the kind offices of others.
3. Blind. And therefore should have been specially reverenced, and treated with most respectful tenderness,
4. Felt his end approaching (ver. 4). Should therefore have been treated with the greater consideration.
5. About to impart the covenant blessing. A most solemn act. To be given, and received, in the fear of God.
6. Would signalize it with a feast. The last he might have; and his own beloved Esau should prepare it.
(J. C. Gray.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I.