For I say to you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees…
The sense it which it must surpass them: —
I. In KIND.
II. IN SPIRIT.
1. Not of mere outward zeal for the law, but of inward conformity.
2. Not of servile fear, but of filial confidence.
3. Not of religious pride, but of devout humility.
III. In AIM, not to be seen of men.
1. This will rectify our judgment of righteousness.
2. Animate our pursuit of righteousness.
3. Brighten our prospect of righteousness (2 Timothy 4:8).
(Prof. Griffith, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.