But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,…
I. THE MISSION OF CHRIST, AND THE MANNER OF HIS MANIFESTATION.
1. The dignity of His person — God's Son.
2. The manner Of His manifestation.
(1) Born of a woman; conceived by the Holy Ghost, Frequently noticed in Old and New Testaments (Genesis 3:18; Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; 1 Timothy 2:14, 15).
(2) Made under the law; plainly implying that He was put into a situation different from that which was originally His (cf. Philippians 2:7, 8). The necessary condition of every creature is that of submission to the law of God. Christ was born of a woman that He might be made subject to that law.He was made under —
1. The ceremonial law.
2. The moral law.
3. The mediatorial law; and fulfilled all perfectly.
II. THE DESIGN OF HIS MISSION.
1. He came to accomplish that which could not be accomplished by other means or an inferior agency.
2. He came not merely to exemplify a rule of life but to satisfy its violation; not to explain the law but to bear its curse.
3. The character in which He appeared was that of a Substitute and Daysman.
4. In this character He magnified the law and procured justification for us.
5. And further, secured to us the adoption of sons.
III. THE FITNESS OF THE SEASON which God in His infinite wisdom appointed for the purpose. It was a period —
1. Foretold in prophecy, Jacob, Haggai, Daniel.
2. Of general expectation.
3. Of profoundest peace.
4. Of advanced learning and scepticism; so a time most favourable to detect imposture and to test the merits of true religion.
5. Of toleration.In conclusion:
1. The advent was the most important event in the history of the world.
2. You are all interested in it. Those who neglect it will be eternally deprived of its provisions.
Parallel VersesKJV: But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,