And he comes to the disciples, and finds them asleep, and said to Peter, What, could you not watch with me one hour?…
Applying the subject to ourselves.
I. Is THE SPIRIT WILLING? Are we willing, in the sense of being resolved, and bent upon doing God's will, following after holiness, and showing sympathy with Christ by bearing the cross for His sake? Yet —
II. THE FLESH MAY BE WEAK.
1. In religious exercises.
2. In the tasks and duties of our Christian life.
3. Most of all in suffering and trial.
III. THE COMFORT AND USE OF CHRIST'S GRACIOUS SAYING TO US IN SUCH TIMES AS THESE.
1. It is a word of kind apology.
2. There is a tone of warning in it.
3. Our duty therefore is to do our utmost to keep awake and to maintain communion with our Lord. "Watch and pray."
IV. Look forward to a better life.
(T. G. Herren.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?