And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.…
1. Affliction to affliction, trial to trial, doth God knit sometimes for His believing saints.
2. Where His saints come, God sends sometimes heavy judgments, though not for their sakes.
3. A fruitful land is quickly made barren at the word of an angry God.
4. In midst of famine God opens a way for His believing saints to avoid the stroke.
5. Believers will turn no way but God's for their security and sustenance.
6. Saints desire but to sojourn in the world; for a little space to live here.
7. Grievous, prevailing judgments in a place are sometimes a call to God's servants to remove (ver. 10).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.