And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men. And he divided the children to Leah…
1. Brotherly respect unto brethren will work kind inquisition after their relations.
2. Love makes queries to know such relations as are to be beloved.
3. Truth, piety, and humility become all the answers to be made unto queries of love by God's servants.
4. Children are to be acknowledged the fruit of God's mercy and goodness to His (Psalm 127:3).
5. The anger of enraged men is turned into love and tenderness best by self-denying submission. The reed overcomes the wind by yielding; the oaks fall by resisting (ver. 5).
6. It becometh family relations to keep order designed by their head.
7. Orderly approach and submission is the way to gain acceptance with great men.
8. Providence works by motions of creatures to turn hearts from fury to love (vers. 6, 7).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men. And he divided the children unto Leah, and unto Rachel, and unto the two handmaids.