Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.…
1. The genealogy of the wicked God records for His own ends in His Church.
2. God's record of the wicked's line is but to brand them to those who read it (ver. 1).
3. Godless hearts take strange wives — Hittites, Hivites, Ishmaelites — whatever God says against it (ver. 2, 8).
4. Providence doth vouchsafe progeny to wicked and multiplied matches, though He like them not (ver. 4, 5).
5. In God's own time He moveth the hearts of wicked enemies, to turn aside from straitening His Church (ver. 6).
6. Outward portions to the wicked satisfy them in and for their departing from God's Church (ver. 7).
7. Mount Seir pleaseth Esau better than the land of promise, because he is Edom (ver. 8).
8. The reproach of a profane Esau God maketh to rest upon his posterity (ver. 9).
9. Multitudes of wives and children and offspring God may grant unto the wicked.
10. God hath recorded the wicked End their progeny to distinguish them from His Church (ver. 10-14).
11. Dukedoms and dignities in the world is only the ambition of the wicked. The saint's is of another kind (2 Corinthians 5-9).
12. Dignities can never blot out the stain of sin from God's presence. The Dukes are Edomites still (ver. 15-19).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.