Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.…
1. Worldly men are ambitious of the highest titles of honour. Kings and dukes.
2. Earthly kingdoms God may order to the wicked (a settled government) before His Church (ver. 31).
3. Stinted are the numbers of kings and dignities by God in the world.
4. God maketh some notable for exploits above others. Hadad vanquisheth Midian.
5. Kings and queens are sometimes recorded for their shame by God's Spirit.
6. God overturneth and changeth states and government at His pleasure.
7. Profane fathers and profane children are branded by God's Spirit together, where mention is made of them.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.