For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD…
1. God's knowledge of souls giveth them capacity of receiving his revelations. The knowledge of His election and approbation.
2. God's knowledge determines souls unto duty and doth commend them for it, so it did to Abraham.
3. God's known ones will command for God all within their power.
4. Children and servants are to be commanded by God's approved rulers to keep close to His way.
5. Saints known of God will take care for their seed to serve God after their departure. Succeeding generations are their care.
6. The commands of godly fathers and governors are answered fruitfully where God knoweth souls.
7. Keeping the way of Jehovah and doing justice are inseparably enjoined and performed.
8. Such souls are fittest to receive discoveries of God's purposed judgments, who make the best use of them.
9. The full accomplishment of all promises in Christ are the consequents of duty, caused by them.
10. God will bring home all the good promised in Christ unto His covenant ones.
11. God will not hide any thing that is good from the people of His promise; He showeth evil to avoid it.
12. What God hath vouchsafed and spoken to Abram hath always been with respect unto His Church's good. So in this case to the Church in his family (ver. 19).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
WEB: For I have known him, to the end that he may command his children and his household after him, that they may keep the way of Yahweh, to do righteousness and justice; to the end that Yahweh may bring on Abraham that which he has spoken of him."