And Lot went out, and spoke to his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place…
1. Good fathers make haste in midst of dangers to keep their children from destruction, being fore-warned of God's judgments.
2. Gracious parents are earnest with children to press on counsels for their good and safety.
3. Near relations in the flesh, though wicked, yet are dear unto gracious souls to save them.
4. Faith concerning God's judgments revealed will put gracious hearts upon hastening others out of them.
5. Places of habitation when they be places of vengeance, as well as of sin, must be abhorred and forsaken by God's saints.
6. Cities though ever so strong and stately cannot secure sinners from ruin. It and they shall perish.
7. Jehovah is the author of destruction upon places of wickedness, who cannot be resisted.
8. God sends messengers of salvation sometimes to the vilest of men, to Lot's sons, &c.
9. God, His messengers, and His messages of vengeance, are all but scorns and derisions to wicked men.
10. Secure scorning of destruction from God is the immediate forerunner of it, as here.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.
WEB: Lot went out, and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry his daughters, and said, "Get up! Get out of this place, for Yahweh will destroy the city." But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be joking.