And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat…
1. God's promises and appearance to His may well require their vows to Him.
2. Vows to God must follow His promises, not precede by conditioning with Him.
3. God's presence, provision, protection, and safeguarding His own, is just ground of vowing souls to Him.
4. It is just to vow man's self in inward worship to God, as the Lord promiseth Himself to him.
5. It is righteous to vow outward worship to God in time and place, as He desireth.
6. It is man's duty to vow and pay the tenth of all his estate to God for the uses He hath appointed (ver. 22).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,