And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation…
1. The best of created perfections are of themselves detectible.
2. Nothing is so truly base and vile as sin.
3. In defection from God there is an imitation of Satan.
4. It is difficult to be high and not to be high-minded; to be adorned with any excellencies, and not unduly to reflect upon them.
5. The better the persons are who become wicked, the more obstinate they are in wickedness. When angels fall into sin, they continue in it with pertinacity.
(W. Jenkyn, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
WEB: Angels who didn't keep their first domain, but deserted their own dwelling place, he has kept in everlasting bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day.