Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
I. Some interpret this LITERALLY OF DREAMING IN SLEEP. A strong inducement hence for every one to keep their hearts with all diligence from those impure thoughts in the day-time, which may otherwise make them filthy dreamers in the night, and when they go to sleep to beseech God to keep the key of their imagination, that it may not run out to dreaming impurely.
II. Others interpret it METAPHORICALLY, conceiving that the apostle, in calling these seducers dreamers in sleep, COMPARES THEM TO SUCH.
1. These seducers were spiritually overwhelmed in a deep, sound sleep of sin (Isaiah 29:10; 1 Thessalonians 5:6).
2. These seducers are compared to dreamers in sleep in regard of their vain, false, empty imaginations.
(1) Sinners delude themselves in dreaming of their persons. Dreaming that they are not so bad as others because they abstain from gross abominations (Luke 18:11). Dreaming that they are in good and happy estate before God, being indeed miserable and bad (Revelation 3:17; Galatians 6:3).
(2) Sinners delude themselves in dreaming concerning their actions that they are good, because done with a good intention, not considering that a work may be good in a man's own eyes and the issues thereof the ways of death (2 Samuel 6:7; Proverbs 16:25).Lessons:
1. Spiritual judgments are the sorest. Insensibleness in sin and self-delusion were judgments which made these seducers miserable; they are judgments which seize upon the soul.
2. All the sinful sleepiness of saints differs much from that of the wicked (Song of Solomon 5:2).
3. Self-soothing, delusion, flattering, are very dangerous and destructive, as being the foundation of the wickedness and woe of these seducers, these dreamers.
4. It is our wisdom to take heed of spiritual sleeping in sin. For which purpose —
(1) Make much of a stirring ministry;
(2) Labour for a fruitful improvement of sufferings;
(3) Endeavour for a tender, trembling heart at the very beginning of the solicitations of sin;
(4) Labour for faith in threatenings;
(5) Vigorously and constantly exercise thyself in godliness;
(6) Keep company with waking Christians.
(W. Jenkyn, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
WEB: Yet in the same way, these also in their dreaming defile the flesh, despise authority, and slander celestial beings.