Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses…
1. None are so ready to speak as the ignorant.
2. Ignorance is the cause of opposing the ways of God. Did men either see the deformity of sin or the beauty of holiness, they would neither delight in the former nor dislike the latter.
3. How great is the sin of speaking evil of those things the worth whereof we do know! All sin against light borders on the sin against the Holy Ghost.
4. We should speak against known evils, and for what we know to be good.
5. Corrupt affections blear and darken the judgment. He who will be disobedient in heart shall soon have a dull head.
6. It is our duty to forbear speaking against anything which we understand not.
(W. Jenkyn, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
WEB: But Michael, the archangel, when contending with the devil and arguing about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him an abusive condemnation, but said, "May the Lord rebuke you!"