Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write to you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write to you…
1. Piety is no enemy to courtesy.
2. The work and labour of a minister should proceed from love to his people.
3. People should study to be fit for the love of their pastor.
4. The love of a minister must not be slack and remiss, but vehement and ardent.
5. Loving a minister's person has a great influence upon loving his doctrine.
6. The aim of minister in being beloved of his people should be to benefit their souls.
7. The love of a minister to his people should procure love again from his people.
(W. Jenkyn, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
WEB: Beloved, while I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I was constrained to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.