But you, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
1. Without the Spirit there is no praying.
2. How excellent and honourable a work is that of prayer! The whole Trinity has a work in this holy exercise.
3. As without the Spirit there is no prayer, so without prayer a man evidently shows himself to have nothing of the Spirit.
4. Needs must the prayers of the saints be acceptable. They are by the Holy Ghost.
5. How good is God to His poor saints! He not only grants, but makes, their prayers.
6. It is our greatest wisdom to get and keep the Spirit.
(1) It is obtained in the ministry of the gospel.
(2) It is kept by following His motions and suggestions.
7. How happy are saints in all straits! They have the Spirit to help them to pray.
(W. Jenkyn, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
WEB: But you, beloved, keep building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.