1 Samuel 3:20-21
And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.…
I. In the first place, we will consider THE CALL OF SAMUEL.
II. But in the second place let us consider THE PROPHETIC WORK OR SAMUEL.
1. First, his work Was to announce the Divine mind by predicting future events.
2. In the second place, another pare of the prophetic work of Samuel was to revive religion and restore the worship of God among the nation. For at the time that Samuel was introduced to the prophetic office, religion was exceedingly low, indescribably low.
3. But, in the next place, another part of his work was to decide all doubtful cases, according to the will and the law of God. The most difficult of all those cases that came before him was the introduction of monarchy into the theocracy.
4. Another part of the work of Samuel was to introduce and to perpetuate a race of prophets, a series of prophets, in the Jewish church.
5. But again: another part of his work was to write a portion of the inspired volume — to communicate a part of the mind of God by inspiration.
1. Let us learn from this, in the first place, that early piety is of great influence in the Christian church.
2. And, in the second place, let us learn how a youth, in very disadvantageous circumstances, may be of great use in reviving religion in his day and generation
(T. W. Jenkyn, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.
WEB: All Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of Yahweh.