1 John 4:19
We love him, because he first loved us.
I. CHRISTIANS CHERISH GREAT AFFECTION FOR CHRIST. "We love Him."
1. It is implied that they are an exception to others. The majority of the human race either ignore or oppose Christ.
2. It is implied that there was a time when they did not. Religion is not inherent. It is an after production.
3. It is implied that they are fully conscious of their love.
4. It is implied that it is personal. "We love Him" — not His gifts, but Himself.
II. CHRISTIANS CHERISH GREAT AFFECTION FOR CHRIST BECAUSE OF HIS GREATER AFFECTION FOR THEM. "Because He first loved us." Natural if we consider —
1. The greatness of the Lover.
2. The wretchedness of the loved.
3. The wonderfulness of the love.
(1) Gracious in its source.
(2) Sovereign in its initiation.
(3) Infinite in its sacrifice.
(4) Unchangeable in its power.
(5) Unspeakable in its benefits.CONCLUSION:
1. Jesus continues to love.
2. He loves all.
3. All should love Him.
(B. D. Johns.)
Parallel VersesKJV: We love him, because he first loved us.