By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house…
I. A GOOD MAN IS THE SPECIAL OBJECT OF THE DIVINE FAVOUR. "Being warned," &c.
1. Information of the approach of coming evil.
2. Instructions to prepare for the coming evil.
(1) Man cannot do without Divine guidance.
(2) Man will not do without human effort. Work tests and develops character.
3. Assurance of safety from the coming evil. God condescended to bind Himself by an agreement that was comprehensive and everlasting.
(1) It contains reward for excellence of character, and is the basis of all honours to come.
(2) It is eternal.
II. A GOOD MAN IS AN OBEDIENT SERVANT TO THE DIVINE WILL. "Moved with fear," &c.
1. He was actuated by the sublimest motive. Profound regard for the truthfulness of the Divine admonitions, and implicit trust in the power of God to carry out His threatenings. He was extraordinarily subservient to the Divine plan.
(1) He did precisely according to the Divine plan.
(2) He did precisely at the Divine time.
(3) He did precisely according to the Divine expectation.In spite of cost, labour, care, ridicule, long delay, other engagements, his faith triumphed over all. There was no arguing, no murmuring, no relapsing, no desponding, but daily work, and daily progress, and daily trusting, until at last the huge ship was ready for its cargo, voyage, and destination.
III. A GOOD MAN IS THE EFFICIENT MEDIUM OF THE DIVINE PURPOSE. By faith and works Noah influenced the whole of the world. He fixed universal destiny.
1. He was the efficient medium in preserving his family.
2. He was the efficient medium in punishing his contemporaries.
3. He was the efficient medium promoting himself.
(B. D. Johns.)
Parallel VersesKJV: By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
WEB: By faith, Noah, being warned about things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared a ship for the saving of his house, through which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.