2 Timothy 1:16
The Lord give mercy to the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:
— Onesiphorus means "bringing profit." The man's life was true to his name. He brought profit to himself, others, God. A model minister's friend.
I. RELIGIOUS FRIEINDSHIP IS EMINENTLY PRACTICAL IN ITS SERVICE.
1. Invigorating. "Refreshed me." Like dew to shrivelled grass and drooping flower.
2. Painstaking. "Sought," etc.
3. Courageous. "In Rome." "Not ashamed of my chain." False friends are swayed by the signs of the times. Like a shadow, they leave us when we pass out of the sunshine. True friendship, based on character, not circumstances, hence unalterable.
6. Proverbial. "Thou knowest very well." The true man loves to recount deeds of kindness.
7. Immortal. Kindness is undying.
II. RELIGIOUS FRIENDSHIP IS HIGHLY DISTINGUISHED IN ITS REWARD.
1. It gained for him the influence of the mightiest Christian power.
2. It gained for him the influence of prayer for the best blessing "Mercy."
(1) The most needed blessing.
(2) Involves every other.
3. It gained for him the influence of prayer for the best blessing on the most momentous occasion. "That day" — the judgment — the day of destiny — the final day of mercy.
(B. D. Johns.)
Parallel VersesKJV: The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:
WEB: May the Lord grant mercy to the house of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain,