And I say also to you, That you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
I. THE CHURCH IS BUILT ON CHRIST. It is built on Jesus Christ, and not upon any idea or representation of Him.
2. It is built upon the historical Christ.
3. But if it is built on the historical Christ, then it must be built upon the theological Christ — the Christ as represented in the doctrines of the Church.
II. THE CHURCH IS BUILT UPON CHRIST AS THE GOD-MAN.
1. It is built upon the God-man.
2. It is built upon the God-man, and not upon the man-God.
3. It is built upon the God-man, and not upon any theory.
III. The Church is built upon Jesus Christ as the God-man SLAIN.
1. To be the foundation of the Church it was necessary that He should be slain.
2. The idea of the God-man slain seems to be the foundation of all the thoughts of God.
3. And as the "Lamb slain" was the centre of the Divine thoughts before the creation of the world, so will He become the centre of the myriad thoughts of redeemed humanity after the creation shall have been destroyed.
4. Make sure of your foundation. Build a Church
(1) not on creeds;
(2) but on the Bible.
(J. C. Jones.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.