And he went, and fetched, and brought them to his mother: and his mother made savoury meat, such as his father loved.…
I. THE POWER OF PARENTAL INFLUENCE AND THE DANGER OF PARENTAL PARTIALITY.
II. THE PROGRESS OF MORAL DETERIORATION. This is seen —
1. In Isaac.
2. In Rebekah.
3. In Esau.
4. Especially in Jacob.Lessons:
1. That mere fondness is not affection.
2. To beware of encouraging or countenancing the appearance of untruth.
3. That no righteous purpose can justify an unrighteous act.
4. To avoid the beginning, "the very appearance of evil."
5. To beware what thoughts we cherish.
6. Success does not avert the moral consequences of wrong-doing.
(A. F. Joscelyne, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he went, and fetched, and brought them to his mother: and his mother made savoury meat, such as his father loved.