Why (as the Holy Ghost said, To day if you will hear his voice,…
has its gradations of —
1. Carnal security, which comforts itself with the outward possession of the means of grace; and from —
2. Natural indifference and insensibility to the Word, proceeds on through —
3. Unbelieving disparagement.
4. Faithless neglect, and —
5. Reckless transgression of the Word —
6. To rejection, contempt, and denial of it; and thence to a —
7. Permanent embittering of the wicked heart; to a —
8. Conscious stubbornness of the wicked will; to the —
9. Bold tempting of the living God Himself, until in —
10. Complete obduracy, judicial retribution begins the fulfilment of its terrible work.
(J. P. Lange.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
WEB: Therefore, even as the Holy Spirit says, "Today if you will hear his voice,