And Abraham journeyed from there toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.…
I. THEIR POWER MAY SLUMBER LONG. In this instance, twenty-four years. Never safe from invasion of temptations once yielded to.
II. CIRCUMSTANCES MAY ARISE WHICH WILL REVIVE THEIR STRENGTH.
1. Reaction after great spiritual excitement.
2. Experience of social corruption.
III. THE RESULTS OF YIELDING AGAIN ARE MOST DISASTROUS.
1. The distress of anxiety.
2. Possible loss to ourselves.
3. The shame of reproof from worldly men.
IV. THOSE WHO FALL UNDER THEM ARE ONLY DELIVERED BY THE SPECIAL INTERFERENCE OF GOD.
1. The infirmities of believers appeal to the Divine compassion.
2. GOD is concerned to maintain the promises made to faith.
(T. H. Leale.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.