And they said to him, Where is Sarah your wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.…
I. THE THINGS PROMISED SO FAITH ARE DIFFICULT OF RELIEF.
1. It is necessary that faith should be thus tried by difficulty.
2. We must be cast entirely upon the word of God.
II. FAITH MAY, FOR A WHILE, BE QUITE PARALYZED BY FEAR (ver. 15).
1. In sincere souls this condition is only momentary.
2. To accept God at His word would save us from all foolish wonder.
III. GOD GRACIOUSLY GRANTS POWER TO OVERCOME THE FEAR. If only faith is real at bottom and in any way lays hold upon God, He will pardon its infirmities and repair its weaknesses. This He did in Sarah's case.
1. By mild reproof.
2. By recognizing the good which is mixed up with our infirmity.
3. By repeating His promises.
4. By casting us upon His own omnipotence (ver. 14).
(T. H. Leale.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.