And he commanded the steward of his house, saying, Fill the men's sacks with food, as much as they can carry…
I. THE SEVERITY OF THE TRIAL.
1. It was unexpected.
2. It exposed them to the agony of suspense between hope and fear.
3. They were conscious of innocence.
4. The trial touched them in the sorest place.
5. The bringing them into their present difficulty seemed to have the sanction of religion.
6. They regard their case as hopeless.
II. THE PURPOSE OF THE TRIAL.
1. To stir up their consciences to the depths.
2. To show whether they were capable of receiving forgiveness.
(T. H. Leale.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he commanded the steward of his house, saying, Fill the men's sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put every man's money in his sack's mouth.