And the men rose up from there, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
God communicates Himself, and the knowledge of His ways and designs, to His faithful ones. There was a special propriety for this mode of dealing with His servant Abraham. Consider this —
I. As ONE OF THE PRIVILEGES OF GOD'S FRIENDSHIP WITH HIM. Communication of secrets is one of the special privileges of friendship. Where we trust our secrets the intimacy must be very close, and the confidence of love very great. God imparted to His friend Abraham a twofold secret.
1. The secret of loving intercourse.
2. The secret of His purposes.
II. AS DEPENDING UPON HIS DESTINY AND CHARACTER. Abraham was not only a saint, but also a representative man, through whom God intended to convey great blessings to mankind. He was the human foundation upon which God's most gracious purposes concerning the race were to he erected. The friendship of God with him, therefore, is to be considered —
1. With regard to his destiny. God had known him, that is, determined him for a purpose.
(1) Political. He was to "become a great and mighty nation" (ver. 18).
(2) Religious. Abraham was to be the founder not only of a great but of a holy nation.
2. With regard to his personal character, God knew that Abraham was a righteous man, and that he would be just and upright in the government of his family, bringing them up in the fear and love of Himself. So would they enjoy the benefits of the covenant of grace, and avoid the doom of the wicked.
(T. H. Leale)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.