1 Corinthians 9:27
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others…
1. How earnestly Paul sought the kingdom of heaven (ver. 26). It was long after his conversion that Paul writes in this manner.
2. One particular in which he was very earnest. "I keep under my body," &c. (ver. 25).
3. His reason for all this earnestness — "Lest when," &c. What is it to be cast away? Wicked men shall be cast away —
I. FROM GOD (Matthew 25:41; 2 Thessalonians 1:9). From —
1. The fruition of God.
2. The favour of God — "In Thy favour is life."
3. The blessing of God. God is the fountain of all blessing. Separate a man from God finally, and no creature can give him joy.
II. FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT. The Holy Spirit is now dealing and striving with natural men. When the day of grace is done the Spirit will strive no more —
1. Through ordinances. There will be no family worship in hell — no Bible, no Sabbath, no preached gospel.
2. Through providences. There will be no more poverty or riches — no more sickness or bereavements.
3. Through conscience it will condemn, but it will not restrain.
III. FROM ALL CREATURES.
1. The angels will no longer take any interest in you.
2. The redeemed will no longer pray for you, nor shed another tear for you.
3. Ministers will no more desire your salvation. It will no more be their work.
4. Even devils will cast you off. As long as you remain on earth, the devil keeps you in his train; then you will be a part of his torment, and he will hate you and torment you, because you deceived him, and he deceived you.
IV. FROM THEMSELVES.
1. The understanding will be clear and full to apprehend the real nature of your misery.
2. The will in you will be all contrary to God's will.
3. Your conscience, God's viceregent, will accuse you of all your sins.
4. Your memory will be very clear.
5. Your anticipations — everlasting despair. Conclusion: Let believers learn Paul's earnest diligence. A wicked life will end in being a castaway. These two are linked together, and no man can sunder them,
(R. M, McCheyne, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
WEB: but I beat my body and bring it into submission, lest by any means, after I have preached to others, I myself should be rejected.